[b-hebrew] Aramaic - Abba

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Fri Jul 22 14:22:26 EDT 2005

Dear Peter,

>Well, there are several apparently Aramaic words recorded in
>transliteration in Mark's gospel, e.g. TALIQA in 5:41 and SABACQANI in
>15:34 (Q = theta, C = chi), and an apparently Hebrew one, ELWI = Elohi
>in 15:34 (W = omega). Translations into Greek are given for all of them,
>just as for "Abba". One interpretation is that Jesus was always speaking
>Aramaic. Another is that Jesus was normally speaking Hebrew which was
>translated into Greek, and the few Aramaic words preserved are preserved
>to show their distinctively Aramaic nature.

HH: Others think the ELWI in Mark 15:34 is more
Aramaic than Hebrew. The lHebrew and Aramaic will
not always come through in this quote:
http://www.answers.com/topic/aramaic-of-jesus

Eli Eli lema sabachthani

Matthew 27:46

Around the ninth hour, Jesus shouted in a loud
voice, saying "Eli Eli lema sabachthani?" which
is, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"

Mark 15:34

And at the ninth hour, Jesus shouted in a loud
voice, "Eloi Eloi lema sabachthani?" which is
translated, "My God, my God, for what have you
forsaken me?"

This phrase, shouted by Jesus from the cross, is
given to us in these two versions. The Matthean
version of the phrase is transliterated in Greek
as Eli Eli lema sabachthani. The Markan version
is similar, but begins Eloi Eloi lema
sabachthani«.

Jesus seems to be quoting the first line of Psalm
22. However, he is not quoting the canonical
Hebrew version (êlî êlî lâmâ `azabtonî), but is
using an Aramaic translation of it (see targum).

In the following verse, in both accounts, some
who hear Jesus' cry imagine that he is calling
for help from Elijah (Eliyyâ). This is perhaps to
underline the incomprehension of the bystanders
about what is happening. Matthew's use of eli eli
may indicate a more 'official' rendition of the
psalm verse, more in line with the Hebrew. Mark's
version probably represents the Aramaic
colloquial better. The Aramaic behind Matthew is
êlî êlî lmâ ”vaqtanî. Whereas Mark has elohî
elohî.

A few ancient Greek manuscripts show signs of
trying to normalise this text. For instance, the
peculiar Codex Bezae renders both versions with
(êli êli lama zaphthani).

As the phrase is clearly translated into Greek in
both instances there can be little doubt as to
its meaning. However, a minority have speculated
on different meanings, among them is George
Lamsa, but his methodology has been shown to be
seriously flawed. The Aramaic word ”vaqtanî is
based on the verb ”vaq, 'to leave, forget', with
the perfect tense ending -t (2nd person singular:
'you'), and the object suffix -anî (1st person
singular: 'me').

					Yours,
					Harold Holmyard