[b-hebrew] Aramaic - Abba

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Fri Jul 22 13:55:43 EDT 2005

On 22/07/2005 18:45, Jim West wrote:

>... If
>some early Christians believed in magic (and some clearly did!)... and prayer is the most "magical" of all
>vocalizations.

I know this is well off topic, but I can't allow this attack on the
Christian faith to pass without comment. Christian prayer is not magic.
The early Christians clearly distanced themselves from magic, as is
clear in Acts 8 and 19. The two have nothing in common. Christians,
along with most other religious believers, believed and still believe
that (at least in some circumstances) a personal God acts when asked to
in prayer. That is quite different from magic which is a belief in some
kind of impersonal supernatural force.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/