[b-hebrew] Aramaic - Abba

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Fri Jul 22 12:27:00 EDT 2005

On 22/07/2005 17:10, Yigal Levin wrote:

>Okay, then, assuming that Mark records the tradition faithfully, the
>question is whether Jesus would have been using Aramaic or Hebrew, and
>whether the form ABBA at that time would have been more formal or less. Or,
>on the other hand, what Mark intended by putting the word Abba in Jesus'
>mouth. I really don't think that we have enough information to go on.

Well, there are several apparently Aramaic words recorded in
transliteration in Mark's gospel, e.g. TALIQA in 5:41 and SABACQANI in
15:34 (Q = theta, C = chi), and an apparently Hebrew one, ELWI = Elohi
in 15:34 (W = omega). Translations into Greek are given for all of them,
just as for "Abba". One interpretation is that Jesus was always speaking
Aramaic. Another is that Jesus was normally speaking Hebrew which was
translated into Greek, and the few Aramaic words preserved are preserved
to show their distinctively Aramaic nature.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/