[b-hebrew] Aramaic - Abba

Read, James C K0434995 at kingston.ac.uk
Fri Jul 22 10:26:25 EDT 2005

I can't comment much on the translation of abba but I
have felt for a long time that modern translations of many
scriptures have been overly formalised and not well
reflected the informal nature with which such words were
originally penned.
I think this has arose from various sentiments of
piousness and a feeling for the need to transmit the
thoughts and feelings of the original composer/s in a
respectful and formal manner.
I have no linguistic evidence in favour of a translation
of 'dad' for abba other than it just seems to sound good.
The reason I say this is an emotional one and nothing more.
Because when I read the words of Jesus it makes me feel that
his personality was rather informal and that his method of
teaching was very simplistic and heart-reaching in its nature.
For this reason, I like the translation of 'dad' becomes (to me)
it seems to better reflect the close and warm relationship he
had with his heavenly father.
In most modern languages I have had contact with, the term
'Father' would only serve to distance the relationship, whereas
the term 'Dad' is an endearment that calls to mind a close and
intimate relationship.

All of this is of course just my opinion and the way I like to
think things and has little to no scholastic basis to it.

Security System.