[b-hebrew] Aramaic - Abba

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Fri Jul 22 10:20:38 EDT 2005

On 22/07/2005 16:00, Yigal Levin wrote:

>Didn't he say "abi"? That means "my father" in either language.
>
>It's hard to trace when the "dad" usage began. My guess would be 1-2
>centuries CE.

Jesus is reported as saying "ABBA hO PATHR" in the Greek text of Mark
14:36, with the Aramaic loan word in the Greek. Paul uses the identical
phrase in Romans 8:15 and Galatians 4:6.

"Abi" is probably a Hebrew and/or Aramaic translations or
reconstructions of Jesus' words at other places e.g. Matthew 10:32,
which is recorded in the Greek words hO PATHR MOU, "my Father".

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/