[b-hebrew] Herodotus

George F Somsel gfsomsel at juno.com
Fri Jul 22 10:19:34 EDT 2005

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:50:32 +0100 Peter Kirk <peterkirk at qaya.org>
writes:
> On 22/07/2005 14:40, Read, James C wrote:
>
> >When I was a classical greek student we used to use an online
> >resource called perseus. I can't remember the URL but it has
> >perseus in it at some point. As far as I can remember it
> >wasn't easily copiable because it will only give you a few chapters
>
> >at a time and so copying can be laborious. And the text used
> >transliterations and not greek fonts if I remember rightly but
> >once you've got the text conversion to unicode should be
> >straighforward enough as long as the transliteration is uniform.
> >

> http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/ You can choose between Greek script
> and
> transliteration. Click "Classics" and you can choose Herodotus in
> Greek
> or in English.
>
> --
> Peter Kirk
> peter at qaya.org (personal)
> peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
> http://www.qaya.org/
___________

As Peter has indicated, Perseus is alive and well in the northern sky of
the cybersphere.  There are now several mirrors of the original Perseus
site -- a UK site, German site, and I think there is now a Chicago one as
well.  If you should encounter a time when the home site is down for
maintenance (and you will if you use it enough), it will redirect you to
one of the mirrors.

German (contents page):
http://perseus.mpiwg-berlin.mpg.de/cache/perscoll_Greco-Roman.html

UK:  I don't seem to be able to bring it up right now -- very strange
since they usually have a redirect page when the site isn't available.

Chicago:  I never really marked this site, but I believe I encountered it
once.

You can view Greek texts in a number of different fonts (unicode and
legacy) or in beta code.  Latin is . . . well, Latin.

george
gfsomsel