[b-hebrew] Aramaic - Abba

Martin Shields enkidu at bigpond.net.au
Fri Jul 22 08:54:47 EDT 2005

Yigal,

Do we know how far back this usage can be traced?

I have heard the claim that Jesus' use of Abba should be understood
as something equivalent to "dad", yet the Greek immediately offers
pater (πατηρ; or more exactly ho pater ο πατηρ) as its
"translation" of this word rather than one of the less formal Greek
forms (such as pappas παππας). This, it seems to me, undermines
the notion that Abba meant "dad" at this point in history. This
prompts the question: did the "dad" meaning arise after that time?

Martin Shields,
Sydney, Australia.