[b-hebrew] yhwh pronunciation

Bearpecs at aol.com Bearpecs at aol.com
Thu Jul 21 19:44:03 EDT 2005

In a message dated 7/21/2005 6:48:40 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
patrick at clubgraves.com writes:

We may  assume, therefore,
from the vary accurate mode of Assyrian  vocalization,

Let's keep in mind that in Akkadian (Babylonian,  Assyrian) five
proto-Semitic gutturals (the equivalents of alef, heh,  Heth, `ayin, ghain) merged and
were lost.  Thus Assyrian had  no heh:  as in narum (cf. Heb. nahar) and alakum
(cf. Heb. holekh),  among others.  Thus I question how much we can rely on
Assyrian  transcription of words with heh.
Hayyim