[b-hebrew] yhwh pronunciation

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Wed Jul 20 19:57:39 EDT 2005

On 21/07/2005 00:14, Read, James C wrote:

> Peter noted that:
>  I note that the English pronunciation
> Jehovah is similar, consisting of four nominal consonants but in fact
> only three pronounced consonants - because final h is silent in English
> as normally in Hebrew.
>

> I think the silent pronunciation of the final H is more due to our
> inability to pronounce it than anything else, while the parallel is a
> good one. ... And therefore help us to
> understand why we see forms like 'iaoua' and 'iabo' in Greek
> transliterations.
> As also the Greek alphabet had difficulty in translating a spirant he
> mid-word. ...
>
> I don't know if all that was followable or made any sense to anyone except
> to me!?!?

Yes, James, this does make sense, at least to me as a linguist. Your
explanation of how Hebrew W became Greek beta in IABE etc is good, and
this is good evidence for a pronunciation Ya(h)ve derived from Yahwe;
the Greek forms IAOUE and IAOUAI also clearly support the pronunciation
Yahwe. So Rolf is wrong to state that there is no ancient evidence for
Yahwe.

I am honestly uncertain whether those who advocate the form of the name
"Yehowah" or similar intend that the final he is to be considered as
pronounced or not. I have assumed from their argumentation from the Qere
pointing that they intend a Hebrew form יְהֹוָה,
yod-sheva-he-holam-vav-qamets-he (as actually found in some places in
Hebrew Bibles, but normally understood as a Ketiv with Qere vowels), in
which case the final he would be silent. Now maybe some are arguing that
the actual form is יְהוֹהַּ, yod-sheva-he-vav with holam-furtive patah-he
with mappiq. And that is an alternative, in which the final he would be
sounded but the vav would be only a vowel, and so best rendered in
English as Yehoah (or Jehoah) with no v or w.

As for the form Yahweh, this was certainly intended to represent the
form of the name promoted by Gesenius in the 19th century, which was
explicitly יַהְוֶה, yod-patah-he-sheva-vav-segol-he, in which the he is a
silent mater. The final h is added in English to suggest a suitable
English pronunciation, but I note that in the English edition of
Gesenius' grammar, GKC section 17c, the English form is spelled Yahwè,
i.e. with a final e grave.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/