[b-hebrew] high priest on Yom Kippur -- no strings attached?

Schmuel schmuel at escape.com
Wed Jul 20 10:39:53 EDT 2005

Hi b-hebrew,

Soren
>>> a tradition that the high priest on Yom Kippur was to wear a rope around his ankle, so he could >> be hauled out if he was to die in the Holy of Holies.
> .. I seem to have contributed to keeping a baseless tall story alive: ... Some pretty
> knowledgeable people.... go out of their way to debunk it.  apologies for my gullibility

Schmuel
No apology necessary :-)
Who are some of these knowledgeable folks ?
Anybody from Aish or Orthodox circles ?

Liz Fried
>I thought it was in Tractate Yoma but I can't seem to find it.

Rolf Furuli
The place is Yoma 6,2.

Schmuel

http://www.sacred-texts.com/jud/t03/yom11.htm
I don't see it, although I could check Soncino . or maybe I'm missing it.

A friend Craig posted on my email forum, saying it was otherwise an oral tradition

The Zohar says:
"a cord was tied to feet of high priest before he entered the Holy of Holies"
   (Zohar V (on Vayikra), 102a)

Shalom,
Steven Avery
Queens, NY