[b-hebrew] yhwh pronunciation

Read, James C K0434995 at kingston.ac.uk
Wed Jul 20 13:14:46 EDT 2005

See comments below.

-----Original Message-----
From: b-hebrew-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org on behalf of Vadim Cherny
Sent: Wed 7/20/2005 5:58 PM
To: Medina, Vincent; b-hebrew at lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] yhwh pronunciation

Besides suspicious preservation of final hey in the future tense, the
Tetragrammaton-as-a-verb hypothesis has fundamental flaw:

who in his right mind would call vocalization of a well-established verb
secret?

I don't think the purpose of banning pronouncing the name was to
make the correct pronunciation secret so much as stop it from being
used in vain as an exaggerated view of one of the ten words.

Making the vowels secret--a great secret, indeed--made sense only if the
vowelization was not evident to any Hebrew-speaker. And that rules out any
standard morphological form, including verbs.

Again! No-one intended to make the vowels secret. This was just the consequence
of receiving a text without vowels. Anyway, the current evidence seems to
be pointing towards a correct Masoretic pointing of the vowels as
the other internal evidence already discussed seems to be in agreement with
the qere/ketib vowels of adonai superimposed on yhwh.

Why would anyone use hwh root in the Hebrew scriptures instead of hyh?

The use of hwh evidently predates the use of hyh and so when the scriptures
were compiled the common form hyh would have been used. Whereas, yhwh already
being a well established proper name would maintain its archaic pronunciation.

Also consider mappiq in final hey. It doesn't suggest a verb. Rather,
perhaps, mappiq distinguishes final hey as the only consonant in the word.

I feel that in order to dismiss the name being a verb we would also have to dismiss
the first hand knowledge of the ancient Hebrew language of the author of the
Torah who I think we will all agree may have lacked the grammatical analysis skills
that we have today but had a lifetime's experience of speaking and hearing the
language firsthand.

Of course, the Tetragrammaton came into existence well before matres
lectionis, but it seems possible to me that the Tetragrammaton is the
earliest instance of matres lectionis, and only much later everyone started
using them.

Vadim Cherny

> Yaho, Yahu and Yah all appear to be variant forms of the name. The one
thing that they have in common, and appear to establish firmly, is that
the first syllable of the name is Yah. If yhwh is a verbal form, the
final he would appear to support a final syllable with seghol, "weh,"
whether the verb stem was either qal or hiphil. A verbal yqtl form would
almost certainly have two syllables. In my opinion, all this seems to
support the widely accepted pronunciation Yahweh.

G. Vincent Medina
Associate Professor
Central Bible College
Phone: 417 887-6559