[b-hebrew] high priest on Yom Kippur -- no strings attached?

Søren Holst sh at teol.ku.dk
Wed Jul 20 11:50:49 EDT 2005

Hi Schmuel

Here are the first few sites I came across that claimed the tradition is not in any of the ancient sources:

http://www.hatikva.org/articles/the-coming-of-the-messiah-at-yom-kippur.htm

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-eden/anklerope.html

http://nbchesed.blogspot.com/2003/04/no-strings-attached.html

I may have overstated the case in decribing the writers as knowledgeable in general (I didn't particularly look into the credentials), but the fact that nobody seemed to give a source for the tradition made me trust the ones who claim it just isn't there :-)

But assuming that it really is not in Jopsephus, the Mishnah or any text of comparable age, the fact remains that the story is going around, so it has to come from somewhere. I'm intrigued to hear it goes as far back as the Zohar. Gotta run off and see if we have that in the library.

kol tuv
Soren

PS
Rolf's reference to Yoma 6,2 was nothing to do with ropes, but related to the other thread about pronunciation of the tetragrammaton, right?