[b-hebrew] yhwh pronunciation

Read, James C K0434995 at kingston.ac.uk
Wed Jul 20 06:41:40 EDT 2005

Yah

I was always under the impression that the shortened form Yah
was used as a matter of preference in poetry and it is for
this reason that we see such a dominance of this form in the
Psalms.

yhwh as a verb

I think it has been quite clear for many centuries that yhwh
is a verb form very much related to the occassion when Yah
revealed his name in connection with his purpose to his servant
Moses on Mount Sinai. Even for critics who don't take the account
as authentic it should be reasonably clear that the author of the
Torah felt that it was so related.

can a name be a verb?

I find no conflict in the hebrew custom of naming and the use of
a verb in a proper name. Names were always descriptive of the
person rather than the mere lables we tend to use today in the
English language.
What better way to describe a person than by what he does?
In times past in Britain people were named 'Smith' if they made swords
or 'Thatcher' if they made rooves or 'Carpenter' if they made tables and
chairs.
The causative yhwh would literally mean something like 'he causes to be'
or 'he causes to become' or in plain English 'he creates'. This seems
to fit the character nicely and more than just satisfying grammatical
rules seems to sound right from a spiritual perspective, which is a
perspective that must have been very important to the ancient hebrews.

Number of Syllables.

Sorry for the mess up before. That's what happens when you join a
discussion from memory without checking the grammar first.
However, while you are quite right that a regular verb would be
bisyllabic I'm sure you are all aware that regular roots are few
and far between. And that the root hwh is anything but regular.
Plus the general conception that this is a causative form. To the
best of my knowledge pe guttural hiphils and hophals are trisyllabic.
The evidence from the ancient names of a second long vowel o/u is
insurmountable.

Security System.