[b-hebrew] yhwh pronunciation

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Tue Jul 19 18:56:46 EDT 2005

Dear list,

The problem with the timbre of the first vowel in YHWH can be
illustrated by the syllables of cuneiform documents.  There are around
40 transcriptions of Jewish names with the theophoric element YHW in New
Babylonian and Late Babylonian documents.  Some of these names have been
taken as evidence in favor of YAH as the first element of the divine
name.  However, the sign which represents IA can also represent IE, IU,
and JI.  Yehonatan is written dIA-HU-U-NA-TA-NU or dIE-HU-U-NA-TA-NU and
Yehoiakin is written dIA-KU-U-KI-NU or dIE-KU-U-KI-NU.  Even if the
first vowel is an "a" sound, that does not necessarily argue in favor of
a patah as the first vowel of YHWH,  For example, the names Gedalyahu
and Gemaryahu both has the sign representing GA as their first syllable,
and these names have no theophoric elements at the beginning.  The same
is true with Hezekiya which is written HA-ZA-QI-A-A-A.

Best regards

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo