[b-hebrew] yhwh pronunciation

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Tue Jul 19 18:03:22 EDT 2005

Dear Vincent,

Your conclusion regarding the vocalization of YHWH is not a necessary
conclusion.  Before any conclusion is drawn three questions should be
considered:

1) In what manuscripts and in which languages do we find Yaho, Yahu, and
Yah ?
2) If the three are variants of the same name, are they full forms, or
are they abbreviations?
3) How can we know the timbre in ancient times of the vowels shewa,
patah etc that later were written by the Masoretes?

Only the form Yah with a reference to God is found in the OT, and not
Yaho or Yahu.  The form Yah evidently is an abbreviation of YHWH - the
first two letters of the name.  It is not a substitute for YHWH, because
it is found together with YHWH in Is 12:2; 26:4 and Psalm 111:1. It is
vocalized with qamets, and the he has a mappiq.

The form YHW is found in the Aramaic Elephantine Papyri from the fifth
century B.C.E. Wowels are lacking, so we do not know whether it was
peronounced as YEHU, YAHU, YEHO, YAHO, or even with other vowels.  We do
not know whether the Amamaic-speaking community viewed this is an
abbreviation representing the three first letters of YHWH, or whether it
was viewed as a full form of God's name. In Amon's temple in Soleb in
Sudan there is an inscription from around 1400 with the text "the land
of the nomads of YHW(?)" where the fourth letter is broken away but may
be a W.  In the Greek manuscript 4QLXXLevb we find the form IAW.  This
may resemble the form used at Elephantine, or it could even represent
the whole YHWH, because middle or final "h" is difficult to transcribe
into Greek.

A little less than 150 names in the OT ends in YAH, and a few begins
with YAH. But those beginning with YAH never have "o" or "u" as the next
vowel (e.g. YAHO-; YAHU-). But there are several names that begins with
YEHO-. This means that an argument in favor of shewa being the first
vowel of YHWH is much stronger than the argument in favor of "a".
However, one argument in favor of an "a"-sound as the first vowel, is
that the default pronunciation of shewa in Masoretic times was an
"a"-sound similar to patah.  But we must remember that this was the case
in Masoretic times, and the timbre of the vowels in the days of the
first or second temple is unknown.  So your argument in favor of the
pronunciation Yahweh has no backing in the OT, but the argument that the
first two vowels of YHWH would be represented by shewa and holem
certainly has a backing in the OT.  We should remember that while a form
resembling YAHWEH is found among different forms in the writings of the
Greek Church fathers, and possibly at some point was used by the
Samaritans as well, the form YAHWEH is never witnessed in ancient Hebrew
sources.

Best regards

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo