[b-hebrew] yhwh pronunciation

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Tue Jul 19 17:57:24 EDT 2005

Yes John, you are correct. From the epigraphic evidence that we have
(ostraca, bullae, burial inscriptions etc.), it seems like the form YH (Yah)
was common in pre-exilic Judah, YW (Yoh, or maybe Yaw) in northern Israel,
and YHW (Yahu) in the post-exilic period. The Bible, which, even it it does
preserve ancient material, was edited by post-exilic Judeans, has all three
and is not consistant, even giving variant spellings of the same name:
Yehonatan/Yonatan, Yoram/Yehoram, Eliyahu/Eliyah etc.

Yigal