[b-hebrew] yhwh pronunciation

John W. Leys. eliyahu5733 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 16:27:04 EDT 2005

Read, James C wrote:

>While it can justifiably be argued that the pronunciation of the name has been lost through various superstitions and pharisee style over-burdening the same cannot be said for the multitude of YaHo's and YaHu's we see appended and prepended to many names as early as Ex17:9's YeHo$ua.

This brings up something I've been curious about for some time. Several
of these names have variant spellings/pronunciations. The example the
leaps to mind is that of אליהו ('eliyahu), which is also written (as in
Malachi 3.23) אליה (eliyah). Does this reflect a difference in
pronunciation in different regions (Northern Kingdom v Southern) or
different time periods? And could it reflect a difference in
pronunciation of YHWH, or is it assumed to be restricted to the derived
names?

--
Shalom
John W. Leys

http://eliyahu5733.blogspot.com/

"Wonder rather than doubt is the root of all knowledge"
		- Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel