[b-hebrew] yhwh pronunciation

Vadim Cherny VadimCherny at mail.ru
Tue Jul 19 16:00:23 EDT 2005

Why not allow that ancients knew the grammar? Why not take the things
literally? Perhaps, Yahu and Yaho names are not derivations of the Name, but
the Name itself.

We know from Diodorus that the accepted reading was Iao, which is exactly
Yaho - Yho found in names.
Yhu is an expected variant of Yho if the Name is composed of suffixes, "I,
thou, you."

Vadim Cherny

> I've been reading through the various arguments for the pronunciation and
etymology of the tetragrammaton and have found the arguments presented very
interesting and informative. However, I have noticed that the main evidence
seems to have been neglected. While it can justifiably be argued that the
pronunciation of the name has been lost through various superstitions and
pharisee style over-burdening the same cannot be said for the multitude of
YaHo's and YaHu's we see appended and prepended to many names as early as
Ex17:9's YeHo$ua. I think these testify greatly to a second long vowel after
the first 'he'. Plus the fact that the vast majority of Hebrew verbs are
trisyllabic I see no reason to doubt that it was of the form
YaHoWah/YeHoWaH/YaHuWaH/YeHuWaH.