[b-hebrew] yhwh pronunciation

Read, James C K0434995 at kingston.ac.uk
Tue Jul 19 10:34:38 EDT 2005

Hi

I've been reading through the various arguments for the pronunciation and etymology of the tetragrammaton and have found the arguments presented very interesting and informative. However, I have noticed that the main evidence seems to have been neglected. While it can justifiably be argued that the pronunciation of the name has been lost through various superstitions and pharisee style over-burdening the same cannot be said for the multitude of YaHo's and YaHu's we see appended and prepended to many names as early as Ex17:9's YeHo$ua. I think these testify greatly to a second long vowel after the first 'he'. Plus the fact that the vast majority of Hebrew verbs are trisyllabic I see no reason to doubt that it was of the form YaHoWah/YeHoWaH/YaHuWaH/YeHuWaH.

Security System.