[b-hebrew] Questions about YHWH

Pere Casanellas pcasanel at xtec.net
Mon Jul 18 12:26:20 EDT 2005

Peter Kirk wrote:

>I am interested to see here evidence that the holam was found in Aleppo,
>and so even earlier than L. This would make me question whether this is
>really an "error". Perhaps it was the original pointing, which was for
>some reason partially but incompletely suppressed in some MSS. The
>argument that this is really a misplaced revia is an unlikely one. The
>Masoretic accentuation is very precise, and there is no way that the
>same word would have been left accented with both revia and another
>accent multiple times by mistake.

The opinion of Rudolf Meyer (in his excellent /Hebräische Grammatik/, §
17.2), contrary to that of Gertoux, is that the old vocalization of the
tetragrammaton was with holem (to be read /Adonay/) and that the
vocalization with only shewa and qamats (to be read as Aramaic /Shema'
/= Hebrew /ha-Shem/) is a later one. I do not have an opinion now on who
is right.

--

Pere Casanellas
E-mail: pcasanel at xtec.net <mailto:pcasanel at xtec.net>