[b-hebrew] Questions about YHWH

Heard, Christopher Christopher.Heard at pepperdine.edu
Sun Jul 17 23:25:05 EDT 2005

On Jul 17, 2005, at 11:46 AM, Yaacov Yeretz wrote:
> And if I'm right: Could anybody tell me, when the
> pronunciation of the
> Tetragrammaton became banned?

Okay, I'm a little reluctant to chime in on this because I am away
from home and pretty much working strictly from memory on this.
However, I offer the following observations:

(1) The tendency of the Septuagint and other Greek translations to
supply κυριος for יהוה - does that suggest a reticence to
actually pronounce the Tetragrammaton at the time those translation
were made? If so, this would take us back to the beginning of the
fourth century BCE. Or do our surviving LXX MSS represent a later
development in this regard?

(2) As I recall--though again, I am embarrassed to say it because I
am not in a position, physically/geographically, to check sources on
this--some of the Dead Sea Scrolls have the Tetragrammaton written in
a Paleo-Hebraic script while all the rest of the text around it is
written in an Aramaic square script. I have a JPEG of one such
instance on my hard drive, but I don't have proper documentation on
disk of which MS that is (and I don't know if I can send attachments
with b-hebrew messages in any case). This would at suggest that no
later than the first or second century BCE (depending on which texts
show this orthographic variation), the Tetragrammaton was being
treated as something special and apart from ordinary language. The
use of the paleo script may (speculation alert!) have been a "flag"
to mark the qere perpetuum, maybe ... (speculation alert!).

Please take all this for "thinking out loud," not actual proposals
(at least for now).

Chris

--
R. Christopher Heard