[b-hebrew] cholam in YHWH

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Sat Jul 16 19:20:48 EDT 2005

On 16/07/2005 23:41, Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:

>>2) Why is the Holem often lacking, for example in Codex Aleppo (and also in
>>BHS, following this manuscript) in Gen 15:1?
>>

>The Cholam Chaser is lacking in Leningrad, too.  Does anyone know who
>first put the cholam in YHWH?

It may be lacking in Leningrad in this verse, but it is not lacking in
every verse. See
http://www.qaya.org/academic/hebrew/Exo_13-15_L_divine_name.png for the
divine name with holam in Exodus 13:15, taken from a facsimile of L.
 From some off list correspondence I understand that the holam occurs
about 44 times in BHS, which is supposed to be an exact copy of L.

I also looked at several of these occurrences of the divine name (in
Jeremiah) in a facsimile of the Aleppo codex. There is no sign of a
holam there. That suggests that these holams are were an innovation in
L. I can send images if you like, offlist.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/