[b-hebrew] Regnal resume variation in Kings

Ben Crick ben.crick at argonet.co.uk
Sat Jul 16 11:21:41 EDT 2005

On Sat 16 Jul 2005 (00:03:08), christopher.heard at pepperdine.edu wrote:
> However, what remains   unexplained (Karl considers it only a minor
> variation, and that may
> be all it is) is the reason why five such references read "behold
> them written" and all other such instances of the formula read "are
> they not written?" It's not the phenomenon of referencing other books
> that has piqued my curiosity; it is the verbal variance in the
> quotation in only these few cases.

 Dear Christopher,

 Sorry if I was merely repeating the obvious. To address your question,
 ISTM that what we have here is a "Litotes". Instead of stating "They are
 written in the books...", for stylistic variation he asks a rhetorical
 question "Are they not written... ?". This is a question expecting a
 negative reply; "No; they are indeed written...". We can't do this very
 well in English: the Germans negate a negative with "Doch...", and the
 French with "Si...".

 I'm a traditionalist when it comes to authorship (penmanship) and date.
 However, that is not germane to B-Hebrew.

 Shalom
 Ben
--
 Revd Ben Crick, BA CF                                       ZFC Hf
 <ben.crick at NOSPAM.argonet.co.uk>