[b-hebrew] Questions about YHWH

Martin Arhelger arhelger at gmx.de
Sat Jul 16 12:19:02 EDT 2005

Hello Chris,

thanks for your answers. You wrote:

> 1) The hatef-patah occurs as gutterals
> can not take the shewa. However, the
> shewa is fine under the yod.

It is right that gutturals generally do not take Shewa. But what does this
help here? The Hatef-patah was not meant to be with the Yod but with the
Aleph of ADoNaY. I am not aware that the vocals of the Qere-reading were
ever changed to fit the Ketiv-consonants.

> 2) The Jewish scribes didn't like
> putting anything above YHWH.

1) I have never heard this explanation. Can you give references in
literature?

2) Why had the Jewish scripes no scruples to put a Holem in words like
ELoHiM or ADoNaY ?

3) Why are there instances where YHWH was written WITH Holem?

Martin Arhelger