[b-hebrew] Questions about YHWH

Alexander Oldernes alexander at oldernes.no
Sat Jul 16 07:17:39 EDT 2005

2)
According to http://www.divinename.net/
Frequently Asked Questions: "A5- Did the name Jehovah come from a wrong
reading which mixed together the consonants of the Tetragram with the vowels
of the word Adonay ?":

QUOTE:

The word Yahowah has never been used in any Bibles. The (fanciful)
grammatical pattern which involves a change a to e has never existed. In
actual fact, before 1100 CE , the Tetragram has been pointed with only the
two vowels e, a of the Aramaic word Shema which means "The Name".The vowel o
appeared, after 1100 CE , owing to the influence of the reading of the word
Adonay.

            Paul Drach, a rabbi converted to Catholicism, explained in his
work De l'harmonie entre l'église et la synagogue (Of the Harmony between
the Church and the Synagogue) published in 1842, why it was logical that the
pronunciation Yehova, which was in agreement with the beginning of all the
theophoric names, was the authentic pronunciation, contrary to the form of
Samaritan origin Yahvé. He also demonstrated the delirious way of the
transmutation of vowels a, o, a of the word Adonay into e, o, a, because
this hypothetical grammatical rule (and against nature concerning a qere /
kethib) was already running down with the word Èlohim which keeps its three
vowels è, o, i without needing to change them in e, o, i.

END OF QUOTE

Alexander Oldernes