[b-hebrew] Hebrew in messages

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Wed Jul 13 21:32:57 EDT 2005

Peter, and others:

This has got to be my last message on this subject.

This whole question started up with the response to my message http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/b-hebrew/2005-July/023687.html where some people complained that the Hebrew text that I typed came out as gibberish. Well, looking at the message as stored on the ibiblio server, the Hebrew characters were changed, content has been lost, to something that no browser nor email client can read as Hebrew.

Peter’s response http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/b-hebrew/2005-July/023703.html included two examples, one in Windows-1255 character set and the other in “character entities” consisting of four sets of ampersand, hash, four numbers and a semicolon. When my browser was set to read Windows Hebrew, it rendered both examples as Hebrew in the message that arrived in my mailbox. But the message as is stored on the ibiblio server has his Windows example changed to character entities, and his character entities changed to something that no browser nor email client can read as Hebrew.

Curiously, when I quoted Peter on http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/b-hebrew/2005-July/023717.html , both examples are stored as character entities (the second example was not changed) and any modern browser should render both examples as Hebrew. I wonder why.....?

Apparently what is happening is that the online email client I use sends html mail (Thanks Yitzhak Sapir for clarifying  this) which is being incompletely translated to MIME and the Hebrew is lost in translation. However, I can receive Hebrew with no problem. I suspect that anyone else who uses an html email client would be able to receive Hebrew from me. Peter, your insistance that there is a bug was most unhelpful.

Peter, you mentioned that I ought to use a POP mail server. That would be MIME complient, but I often need to access my mail from different computers, making such an account not workable.

It boils down to that I, and others using html mail, cannot send Hebrew and expect all to read it.

When looking up the old messages today, I noticed that all my paragraphs are written on one line. That is consistant with good html coding, but makes a mess of the archives. Does MIME add a hard return after every so many characters to prevent this? If so, how wide should I make the lines?

Karl W. Randolph.