[b-hebrew] Hebrew in messages

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Wed Jul 13 11:17:02 EDT 2005

Peter:

Content is exactly what is being lost when character entities are changed to html text strings.

That non-ASCII characters are stored in the archives as character entities means that they can not be quoted without losing content.

The encoding is defined by <META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=us-ascii"> means that the only way to show non-ASCII characters is to have them in ASCII coding, such as character entities. There is no Windows-1255 or UTF-8 encoding. Therefore, in order not to lose content, such coding must be stored unchanged. It changes them.

At first I was ready to blame your email program. Now I realize it is deeper than that. We are dealing with incompatible systems, some of which have been around for some time. The earliest non-MIME complient standard was developed to show Asian characters, and one of the earliest MIME challenges was how to transmit those messages unchanged. (I’d forgotten about uuencoding, a way to transmit non-ASCII data as ASCII strings.)

You blame the mail program I am using. How it sends messages, i.e. the encoding it uses, I am not sure. However it appears that it sends ASCII strings. For non-ASCII characters, that would mean character entities. For receiving messages, it is designed to be read through a browser such as Firefox, Camino and Mozilla, so it passes on whatever message it receives unchanged: if Windows-1255, I can tell the browser to read it; if UTF-8, a different setting; if character entities, sent to the browser unchanged so that the content could be displayed unlost. Of course, I speculate because I don’t have enough data.

Then we have the ibiblio archiving program that takes only us-ascii. When it receives data, it loses content if that data is already encoded in character entities to be compatible with ASCII, because it changes it so that the data is no longer character entities. That losing content is certainly a bug.

The question is, what are we as a forum going to do about these incompatible standards? Shall we make it a rule that in order to participate, we need to use a certain standard? If so, which? Should the technically savvy among us draw up a list of approved email clients, recommending that only those be used by list members?    ??

Karl W. Randolph.