[b-hebrew] Hebrew in messages

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Fri Jul 8 16:21:11 EDT 2005

Peter:

I just noticed something. While checking up some other settings on my browser, I noticed that I had set the language encoding to “Hebrew (windows)”. When I set the language encoding to UTF-8, Hebrew written in Windows-1255 encoding is displayed

????

instead of

אבגד

Now does the second line still show אבגד or does it show Hebrew letters?

Hebrew encoded as character entities Camino rendered as Hebrew letters, both when encoded as Hebrew (windows) and as UTF-8.

An example of character entities follows:

אבגד

How does that render in your browser or mail program?

What I noticed is that when you encoded Hebrew as character entities, somewhere between your screen and the B-Hebrew archives, the coding was changed from character entities to string encoding. I don’t know where the change came from, but it is clearly recognizable when looking at the page source. What you wrote as Windows-1255 encoding is stored on the B-Hebrew archives as character entities. What are your settings?

Karl W. Randolph.