[b-hebrew] RE-Dating Daniel

George F Somsel gfsomsel at juno.com
Fri Jul 8 16:17:17 EDT 2005

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 14:07:18 -0500 "Medina, Vincent" <VMedina at cbcag.edu>
writes:
> My response to you is the same as it was to Stoney. You may not share
> my
> faith commitments and that is fine, but we do need to be sure we
> are
> talking about the same thing when we use the word "inspiration."
>
> As for your assertion that my view of inspiration "has absolutely
> no
> value," that is an inflammatory statement, to say the least. Many
> Christians throughout the centuries have found a good deal of value
> in
> just such a belief. On the other hand, a view of inspiration that
> disregards the historical is in some ways like the Cheshire
> cat--all
> smile and no cat!:)
>
> G. Vincent Medina
> Associate Professor
> Central Bible College
> Phone: 417 887-6559

 ___________

And you think that accusing someone who doesn't accept your personal view
of scripture "is clearly operating out of a naturalistic world-view" is
not inflamatory?  I was once a Bible-thumping fundamentalist myself until
I realized that such a view of inspiration is untenable so I am well
aware of your code words.  You might as well accuse me of being a godless
atheist.  That I don't accept your view of inspiration in no way makes me
a "naturalist" and I have no particular appreciation for your doing so.
Your view makes one deny facts and jump through all kinds of hoops in
order to maintain your position.  Because the ruins of cities do not
support your position you are forced to continually maintain that we
cannot have found the cities referenced in the Bible and many similar
situations.  I thought we were supposed to be discussing the Hebrew
language as it is represented in the TANAK, but it seems that this has
become a forum for systematic theology -- and only fundamentalists need
respond.

george
gfsomsel