[b-hebrew] RE-Dating Daniel

Medina, Vincent VMedina at cbcag.edu
Fri Jul 8 14:28:32 EDT 2005

Stoney:

The type of inspiration spoken of you are speaking of is not what
theologians a generally speaking of when they discuss "inspiration."
There is a difference between the human inspiration of a poet or bard,
and divine inspiration as this is traditionally understood by believers
when they speak of scripture. While I marvel at the achievements of a
Shakespeare or Elliot, I do not put their works in the same category as
Scripture, which, I believe, has its origin in God. While the works of
poets certainly owe their inspiration to God's gift, the inspiration of
Scripture not only different in degree, but also in kind. I realize that
you may not share my rather conservative/orthodox faith commitments, and
that's fine. But I wanted to be sure we were talking about the same
thing.

As far as the question of pious fraud being "resolved centuries ago,"
perhaps you could enlighten me. I know that many assert that the
ancients were not concerned with such things, but I am not at all
certain that simply asserting such a thing makes it so, or "resolves" it
to everyone's satisfaction.

chesed v shalom,

G. Vincent Medina

Associate Professor