[b-hebrew] Hebrew and English word order

David Gray david_gray at sil.org
Fri Jul 8 05:22:17 EDT 2005

Clay,

"...play by different sets of rules"

Completely different, or more like Rugby Union vs. Rugby League? Or Rugby vs. American Football? My understanding is that both literary critics and linguists carry out some kind of discourse analysis, only they come at the story or text from a different angle. Literary critics are much more interested in characterisation (compare 'participant reference') - and their first step often overlaps with that of linguists. It is when they start to apply their findings that we really notice differences in approach. Linguists don't tend to worry about the motives of characters, whether the characters come across as good or bad, mimesis or 'gaps'. Both linguists and literary critics are interested in 'major' and 'minor' participants, however (though again, literary critics use different terminology).

Anyway, in principle why shouldn't a linguist critique a literary critic's translation? It is there to be criticised, from any angle a reader (academic or not) chooses.

I also had a few questions to do with de Regt's criticism of the 'Noah walked with God' line. It seems to me to be so short that English can't do much with it. 'It was with God that Noah walked' would work, but only by adding several words. And it doesn't fit the cotext very well. The contrast is found in the first phrase about Noah finding favour in the eyes of the LORD v8 not in our phrase in v9. We could suggest 'Noah walked <with God>' using italics? As you say, ’In English the focus element is often marked by vocal emphasis and it can be clause final.'

Over to you, David Gray

david_gray at sil.org