[b-hebrew] Dating the book of Daniel (was Re: Aramaic in Babylonia)

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Wed Jul 6 17:17:20 EDT 2005

Dear Chris,

The book of Daniel has been a part of our curriculum in Oslo for many years,
and I have gone through it with my students backwards and forwards, so to
speak.  I will not argue for a certain date of the book or of parts of it.
But I find your words a little strange. If the book of Daniel was composed
around 160 B.C.E., which apocalyptic literature can we date with certainty
before this year? And how can such works tell us anything about the book of
Daniel and the date of its composition? And further, if the apocalyptic
literature is dated after 160 B.C.E., how can it have any bearing on Daniel?

It is extremely difficult to date the Hebrew texts of the Tanakh on
linguistic grounds, and I am not aware of any traits of the Hebrew parts of
Daniel that would exclude that they were written in the sixth century B.C.E.
The Aramaic of Daniel is very similar to Imperical Aramaic, which was used
in Assyria (and probably in Babel) in the sixth century B.C.E., and the
Aramaic language of the DSS is very different from that of Daniel. So
linguistically speaking the case for a sixth century writing is much
stronger than the case for a second century writing.

As far as a know, there are two basic arguments for a second century writing
of Daniel.  First, we have the old argument of Porphyry in the fifteenth
volume of his  "Against the Christians" that Daniel gives a detailed account
of Antiochus IV Epihanes, and this is so accurate that it cannot have been
written beforehand. Second, we have the modern scientific version of
Porphyry`s argument: Metaphysical concepts such as God and God`s
intervention is foreign to science. Therefore the future cannot be
predicted, and when the book of Daniel does this, it must be written after
the events.

It seems to me that "textual analyses of Daniel 7-12 in light of the
well-attested workings of apocalyptic literature" in a way are circular.
They build on the premises mentioned above, and cannot stand on their own
feet. This means that the real basis for the second century date of Daniel
is the axiom that God is irrelevant for science.  This may be the view of
many list-members, and this should of course be respected.  But at the same
time we should be ready to admit that it is not the linguistic nature of the
text of Daniel that causes most modern scholars to date the book to around
160 B.C.E., but rather the a priori view that there is no God, or if s/he
exists, s/he does not inspire the writing of books.

If my analysis is wrong you should be able to, not only to point to scholars
who argue for a second century writing, but to give clear examples of how
accurately dated apocalyptic literature clearly show that the book of Daniel
was composed in the second century B.C.E.

Best regards

Rolf Furuli Ph.D
University of Oslo