[b-hebrew] Iron sharpeneth iron? (Prov. 27:17)

B. M. Rocine brocine at twcny.rr.com
Wed Jul 6 16:39:48 EDT 2005

B-Haverim,

First off, I have no special preference for welding rather than sharpening
as an explanation of this proverb.  I haven't yet seen why, on the other
hand, welding is not a beautiful possibility.  Let me advocate for the "road
less travelled":

According to one web site, welding is an ancient art.

See  http://www.weldinghistory.org/history/welding/index.html:

1475 BC the tomb of Vizier Rekh-mi-re at Thebes, a wall painting depicts a
brazing operation.
1000 BC Iron and bronze items found in excavations near the pyramids were
forge-welded.

The *difficulty* of the technique of forge welding does not in any way make
it literarily improbable as the figure being employed in Pro 27:17.  On the
contrary, the difficulty of the technique may actually be a writer's
incentive for using the figure seeing the proverb is extolling something
special about intimate friendship.

Shalom,  Bryan

B. M. Rocine
Living Word Church