[b-hebrew] Aramaic in Babylonia

Uri Hurwitz uhurwitz at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 6 14:00:49 EDT 2005

 Peter, hope you didn't mix up my line about the language of cartoon captions etc with the statement above it, which it meant to corrrect.

  Liz, the latest posting by Alexey provides the details about the Neo -Assyrian reliefs that I had mentioned earlier.

  Cheers,

  Uri

wrote:

>".... It is my
>understanding of modern Arabic that spoken Arabic
>differs mightily from the written. When two who
>speak the same spoken Arabic dialect write letters
>they still must use the written form, since
>according to my informants, you cannot write the
>spoken form. ...

> Also, captions in cartoons etc can be written in the colloquial language.

In fact the "cannot" in "you cannot write the spoken form" is not a
linguistic or orthographical issue but a social convention. There may
have been social conventions in the ancient Near East as well, of course.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/