[b-hebrew] Hebrew in messages was Re: Iron sharpeneth iron? (Prov. 27:17)

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Tue Jul 5 19:04:49 EDT 2005

On 05/07/2005 19:34, Karl Randolph wrote:

>Peter:
>
>I used Camino web browser looking at and authoring the messages on line. Not only did the Hebrew show up when I authored the text, but even after going through your mail reader and returned, I still see Hebrew (some mail programs change unicode that they don’t understand to question marks). Could there be something in your mail reader that does not always display unicode? Or do I need to switch to a cleaner browser like Safari that displays cleaner unicode?

My mail reader, Mozilla, displays Unicode fine when encoded properly -
using "character entities" or properly encoded characters in HTML
e-mail, or properly encoded characters in plain text e-mail. But
"character entities" should not be used in plain text e-mail, and should
not be interpreted as characters. The b-hebrew archives have made the
correct adjustment here; but do you see Hebrew letters at
http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/b-hebrew/2005-July/023687.html ? This
would appear to be a bug, possibly in Camino but more probably in your
webmail program.

I would recommend setting the character encoding used by your webmail
program to UTF-8, if you can. It should then send properly encoded
Hebrew and other languages. Also set it to send plain text e-mail, for
this list accepts only that and it may be the conversion which is
causing the problem.

Example of properly encoded Hebrew characters (in Windows-1255 encoding):
אבגד

Example of "character entities" which should be displayed as ampersand,
hash, four digits and a semicolon:
אבגד

The same spaced out to break any automatic conversion:
& # 1488 ; & # 1489 ; & # 1490 ; & # 1491;

What do you see?

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/