[b-hebrew] Aramaic in Babylonia

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Tue Jul 5 18:23:32 EDT 2005

On 05/07/2005 22:16, Karl Randolph wrote:

>But my question remains, is there any evidence that _spoken_ Akkadian and Aramaic were different languages?

Karl, it is possible that the *spoken* language of Babylonia before the
Persian conquest was Aramaic rather than the Akkadian that was used in
cuneiform tablets. But that does not make it Akkadian rather than
Aramaic. Akkadian and Aramaic are very different languages, admittedly
both Semitic but from different main branches of this family. Your
question is a bit like asking if the old Norse spoken in modern England
is different from English. Well, the language spoken in England is the
same as English, but it is not old Norse!

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/