[b-hebrew] Aramaic in Babylonia

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Tue Jul 5 17:16:21 EDT 2005

Yigal:

You’re right, the example that I know of dates from the Persian period. The only clue that we have that Aramaic and Akkadian were the same comes from Daniel, who lived from before the start of the Babylonian Captivity and into the Persian period—his writing in Aramaic may be a clue, though at the same time it could reflect the lingua Franca of the Persian period as he could have written it when he was an old man.

But wasn’t Aramaic a lingua Franca before the Babylonian Captivity? As such, wouldn’t that have been a factor, so that the Babylonians, like the Persians after them, would use Aramaic as the official language for the empire even through they used a different language in Babylonia?

But my question remains, is there any evidence that _spoken_ Akkadian and Aramaic were different languages?

Karl W. Randolph.