[b-hebrew] Aramaic in Babylonia

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Tue Jul 5 14:23:27 EDT 2005

Yigal:

Was there any _spoken_ difference between Akkadian and Aramaic during the Neo-Babylonian period? That what appear to be differences may actually be related to our faulty understanding of pronunciation?

All I can say definitely is that all the history sources I have read indicate that Aramaic was the lingua Franca from the Neo-Babylonian period through the end of the Persian empire. Further, official documents were found in Egypt written in Aramaic from that period.

Karl W. Randolph.