[b-hebrew] What? Where? Ehud & Eglon

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Tue Dec 27 18:51:14 EST 2005

Dear B-Hebrew:

While reading through Judges 3, the word PR$DN caught
my eye, it is a hapax legomai, could it mean "wardrobe"?
In other words, where the king's clothes were spread out
prior to his wearing them? If so, it would be connected to
the root PR$ / PR% meaning to spread out, used in the
contexts as cloth, book (scroll), net, entrails (for
divination), sail, etc.

I know what the traditional translations have stated, but
I wonder if the translators were depending too much on
what happened later to assign a definition to the term?
But from the context, would it have happened that way?
It sounds like Eglon took Ehud into his antechamber to
speak privately with him and Ehud made up a story to
explain why Eglon was not coming out right away.

What say ye?

Karl W. Randolph.