[b-hebrew] Zech 6:8

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Tue Dec 20 11:56:57 EST 2005

Herman:

Well, it was a bit before a few months ago,
http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/b-hebrew/2004-July/019681.html
This lists how I analyzed the verse.

Karl W. Randolph.

Dear Karl,

If I'm correct you said Proverbs 1,19 has been discussed a few months ago?
I'll shortly put my "analysis" here, because I disagree with your
explanation (that involves correcting the masoretes, which may
sometimes be needed, but not here I think). You don't have to go into
that, after all the discussion has expired ;)
Imho. what we have there is:

KN (RKWT KL BC) BC)
"Such are the ways of all who are eager for gain"
(T NP$ B)LYW YQX
"It takes the life of those who have it [its possessors]"

The way I see it, the second ·ˆÚ BC( is the object of the first. A
"botzéa bètza` [=bátza` in pausal position] is, then, some kind of
expression for a "greedy opportunist", "someone who's 'longing for
loot'". This way the second ·ˆÚ is correctly pointed as pausal, so we
don't need a change in the accents.

*ÏÂÌ
Herman