[b-hebrew] Use of Qahal in Qumran Scrolls

Jimmy Doyle jkdoyle at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 22:11:08 EST 2005

My reason for inquiry has to do with a study of Paul's (and Jesus') use of
the word ekklesia.  Since Qahal is most often translated ekklesia in the
LXX, I'm wondering how the Qumran scribes/community used it and if there are
similar uses in Paul's writings.  I know that ekklesia has general political
connections in Greek (and later Hellenized Roman) culture, but I'm almost
convinced that Paul's use of ekklesia is more likely a connection to the
qahal of Israel.