[b-hebrew] Ugaritic; textbooks

David Kummerow farmerjoeblo at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 16 02:00:59 EST 2005

Hi Herman,

If you have access, have a look at pages 300-304 of the following essay:

Miller, Cynthia L. "Methodological Issues in Reconstructing Language
Systems from Epigraphic Fragments." Pages 281-305 in The Future of
Biblical Archaeology: Reassessing Methodologies and Assumptions. Edited
by James K. Hoffmeier and Alan Millard. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2004.

Miller gives a short overview on the positions of Tropper (both grammar
and 2001 JSS article) and Testen (I mentioned this monograph to you a
while ago) regarding the emergence of the definite article.

Problematically for you, Tropper raises the following data regarding
/hn/: a) anaphorically preceeding a noun (RS 1.1002 =KTU 1.40); b)
preceeding a noun preceeding a demonstrative (RS 16.402:31-32 =KTU 2.33;
RS 96.2039); and c) prefixed to the following word with /n/ assimilated
(RS 29.093:16 =KTU 2.70).

Hoping this helps,

David Kummerow.