[b-hebrew] Psalms 68

Herman Meester crazymulgogi at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 12:42:19 EST 2005

Apparently, there is no consensus.

Those who translate "skies" or "heavens" may read, see BHS (in stead
of בערבות B(RBWT) בערפות B(RPWT, as in Ugaritic, where they found RKB
(RPT. I guess that may mean "clouds" or something, but I haven't been
studying Ugaritic. If you want to stay with the MT reading,  בערבות
B(RBWT, the translation will mention something like "deserts" or
"wildernesses".

The accuracy of this or that translation depends on considerations of
text criticism. And if we wonder "what would אלהים Elohim suddenly be
doing in the wilderness?" which I think would be a point, we can take
the Ugaritic formula and He then rides in the skies, heavens, clouds,
an image we often see in Antiquity.

The question is, do we have to change the consonantal text? In fact,
the difference between פ pe and ב bet is not that great (we have a few
cognate roots where they interchange) and we are dealing with poetry
which represents a different kind of Hebrew after all. Some experts on
Ugaritic around?

Herman