[b-hebrew] Lexicon Recommendations

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Sat Dec 10 20:42:21 EST 2005

Jimmy:

Like Herman Meester, I prefer to use a concordance. I
have the Lisovski "Handkordanz zum Hebräischen Alten
Testament". It has short glosses in German, English and
Latin, and a few times the German meaning is correct,
while the English not (apparently he was using a German/
English dictionary for his English glosses). I extended the
supplied glosses with my own notes, as well as lists of
synonyms.

I have taken the glosses, notes and synonym lists and
compiled them as an RTF file which any word processing
program can open. Unfortunately, it is coded according to
Online Bible encoding, which demands the use of the
Online Bible Hebrew font in order to show the words. For
reading, I now usually use the electronic file (it is a lot
quicker than flipping paper) but any serious question sees
the concordance in front of the computer.

I stopped using BDB/Gesenius because I found I
disagreed with their definitions too often, especially
after consulting a concordance.

Karl W. Randolph.