[b-hebrew] Zech 6:8

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Fri Dec 9 15:02:43 EST 2005

Dear Steve:

You sound like you have read too much theological works
whereas I am simply a linguist. Theologians like too much
(for my tastes) to make mountains out of molehills, often to
defend predetermined outcomes. I don't own a theological
dictionary, and after looking at a few definitions in one or
two, I have been inoculated against ever wanting one.

Whereas English has grammaticized tense, Hebrew has
grammaticized mode and aspect: modes such as simple
active, stative, causative and their passives, and reflexive;
and aspect. The claim that these grammaticizations lead
to completely different definitions doesn't make sense,
unless your argument is that what I understand as
grammaticizations are really indicators for different
lexemes.

As for Zachariah 6:8, the unpointed text gives no
indication that this is a Hiphil verb, nor does the context.
The context indicates that this is a Qal verb, with the
person to whom the cry was made being indicated by the
accusative pronoun. As a Qal verb, there is no question
as to what the verse means, as a Hiphil, it leads to the
convoluted long discussion we've been having. Why
should we not recognize that this verse is another place
where the Masoretes got the points wrong?

As a translator, you might make such a case that a hiphil
grammaticization translates better using a different verb,
but in this case a translator speaks, not a linguist
analyzing the language itself.

Your argument was hurt by your admission, “SM: Herman,
thanks very much. I did not know any of this. I can only
read English. I cannot read Hebrew, whether pointed or
not, well enough to understand it without helps.”

In conclusion, it looks as if you are trying to defend a
theological dictionary, not the Hebrew text.

Yours, Karl W. Randolph.