[b-hebrew] Zech 6:8

kgraham0938 at comcast.net kgraham0938 at comcast.net
Fri Dec 9 10:10:54 EST 2005

@ Steve

I sent this yesterday and it came back to me, so I am trying this again.

From: "Steve Miller" <smille10 at sbcglobal.net>
> Steve: Out of 60 QAL Z'Q uses, 7 (Jud 2:12; 2 Sam 19:4; 2 Chron. 32:20;
> Esther 4:1; Jer. 20:8; Ezek. 11:13; Hab 1:2) take a direct object. In 5 out
> of these 7, the direct object is the thing that was cried, i.e. a loud cry,
> a great voice, violence. In the remaining 2, Jud 2:12 & 2 Chron. 32:20, the
> direct object is the addressee. (Personally, I think in these 2 cases the
> meaning is to summon for an emergency, but without authority as in the
> Hiphil.) I don't see why these 2 occurances would make the Hiphil for Z`Q
> totally different than the Hiphil for KRB, draw near. Both transfer their
> action to an indirect object by use of the preposition el. Except that Z`Q
> in 2 out of 60 cases does not use el.
Response:  Well again, you can't wonder towards someone else.  In Jud 12:2 (not 2:12) he says " I called out to you, but you did not save me..."  So here he called out to someone.
If you look at Judges 4:10 you'll see something similiar to Judges 12:2.
VAYYAZ:`"Q  BARAQ  ET  Z:BWLIZ V:'ET - NAF:TTALIY  and Barak summonded Zebulum and Naphtali.  Even though they are not being addressed you can see that Barak is calling out to someone else.
So I think this is based off of the use of the word itself within the Hebrew bible.  That is about as good as I can figure.
--
Kelton Graham
KGRAHAM0938 at comcast.net