[b-hebrew] Zech 6:8

Steve Miller smille10 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 6 22:31:35 EST 2005

From: Harold Holmyard Tuesday, December 06
Dear Steve,

Your assumption that the verb Z(Q always has to be a cry for help may be
questioned on the basis of this verse where the related noun occurs:

Eccl. 9:17 The quiet words of the wise are more to be heeded than the
shouts of a ruler of fools.

HH: These don't seem to be cries for help necessarily, but they are
thoughtless shouts in contrast with wise, quiet words.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard

Thanks Harold. Since the other 17 uses of the noun Z(QH are a cry for help
or in distress, as well as all 60 uses of the qal verb, I would see if it
that meaning fits here also:

The words of the wise in rest are heard more than the desperate cry of him
that rules among fools.

That makes sense to me. You would expect a desperate cry to be heard more
than anything else, but from a fool, or even a ruler of fools, it is like
crying wolf.

Yours,
Steve Miller