[b-hebrew] When God began to create...

Steve Miller smille10 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 3 18:40:14 EST 2005

On 11/27/05, Steve Miller wrote:
> B. M. Rocine wrote:

> I think you will find that the _'elleh toledot_ statements are at the
> beiginnings of their respective sections of Gen, not the ends.
>
> SM: Gen 10:32 & Exo 6:19 are at the ends of their sections.
> -Steve Miller

That's not "elleh toledot."  That's "elleh mi$pexot."  In both cases
they end a section that begins with "toledot", and in Gen 10:32, it
ends the section that begins "elleh toledot."  (Interestingly, Bryan
only referred to Genesis).  So while "elleh" can stand at the end of
the list to refer to things listed, it appears it may only do so after it
has first been referred to using the word "elleh" at the head of the
list.  Perhaps the same can be said for "toledot" as well.

Yitzhak Sapir
SM: In Gen 10:32, there are just 3 words between the elleh and the toledot,
אֵלֶּה מִשְׁפְּחֹת בְּנֵי־נֹחַ לְתֹולְדֹתָם. In Exo 6:19 just 2 words,
 אֵלֶּה מִשְׁפְּחֹת הַלֵּוִי לְתֹלְדֹתָֽם׃.

-Steve Miller