[b-hebrew] Ex 13:15 "Firstborn of my sons"

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Wed Aug 31 02:17:16 EDT 2005

Dear Kevin,

That's the problem with translations. From verses 12-13 it is clear, that
the Israelites are to sacrifice the firstborn male of every animal, and to
redeem firstborn male humans. So it should be: "Therefore, I sacrifice to
the LORD all the firstborn of every womb, the males, but every firstborn of
my sons I redeem."

"To redeem" means to give something in its place (in this case 5 shekels of
silver).

Yigal