[b-hebrew] Ex 13:15 "Firstborn of my sons"

George F Somsel gfsomsel at juno.com
Tue Aug 30 22:01:35 EDT 2005

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 00:51:09 +0000 "Kevin Graham" <kevlds at hotmail.com>
writes:
> Thanks Harold. The last sentence in the verse just seems to be
> self-contradictory. It says the firstborn males of every womb was to
> be
> "sacrificed" with the firstborn animals (suggesting sacrificed in
> the same
> manner) and then in the same breath it says the firstborn were
> "redeemed."
>
> It is hard to figure out if child sacrifice was actually condoned or
>
> commanded, originally. I know it was later stated (unambiguously)
> that the
> Levites were to take the place of firstborn sacrifices.

It seems to me that the story of Abraham's "sacrifice" of Isaac is
related to the question of the sacrifice/redemption of the first-born. It
might even be a reaction to and condemnation of the practices of the
kings of Israel which explains its placement at Moraiah and the
identification of Moriah with Jerusalem.

george
gfsomsel